Lyon Township International Ethnic Festival
August 15, 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Atchison Park, 58000 Grand River Avenue, New Hudson
Travel the world in one location at the Lyon Township International Ethnic Festival! Enjoy the traditions, music, food, dance crafts and more from many different ethnic groups. Click here for more information.
Field Trip to Burton Historical Collection
August 4, 2015
Meet us in the library parking lot at 11:00 am, and we will depart for a day of research at the Burton Collection!
Researching before you go:
- Helpful hints for researching at the Burton Collection
July 28, 1:00 pm, presented by Cathy Cottone
- Click here to research the Burton Collection.
- Click here to search the online catalog for the Detroit Public Library, Main Library. In their search engine, type in family names that you are researching, streets that your family lived on, or areas that the family lived in to see what information they have.
What to bring:
- Bag Lunch
- Change for the copy machine
- Your printed pages of what you want to look for.
- Your family pedigree chart or your family information.
- You can bring your computer, but this library does not have the electrical outlets that the Library of Michigan has. It is also hard to lock your computer down.
- You should be prepared to give the driver money for gas, and all in the car should split the parking fee.
Genealogy Resources at Lyon Township Public Library
Lyon Township Public Library is pleased to have one of the premiere genealogical research departments in SE Michigan. Local history and Michigan history are well represented in our materials, including scrapbooks of birth, marriage, and death records, a full collection of the South Lyon Herald on CD dating back to 1929, local cemetery indexes, records of Phillips Funeral Home in South Lyon, and local family histories. The library has a large collection of reference materials as well as books and videos available for loan. For those of you who want to share your genealogy experiences and learn along with other aspiring genealogists there is a Genealogy Club that meets monthly! Please come and explore what the library may have for you!
Cathy Cottone has been the Genealogist at the Lyon Township Public Library for over ten years. Cathy can help you get started on your own genealogy and family tree and give research advice. Cathy is available for personal consultation by appointment. Click here to schedule an appointment.
Field Trip to the Library of Michigan & Archives of Michigan
August 18, 10:00 am
Meet in the library parking lot at 10:00 am, we will carpool to Lansing. At 11:00 am we will register at the Archives and receive a tour. After the tour you can browse through the stacks or request files to be brought to you.
Please click here to register, and indicate if you are willing to drive and how many passengers you can take.
To get ready for the road trip, attend Cathy's presentation: Helpful Tips for Researching at the Archives of Michigan on August 11 at 1:00 pm.
Family History Center Affiliate
The Lyon Township Public Library is a Family History Center Affiliate.
Stop by to see how we can help you with your genealogy research needs.